Saturday, April 24, 2010

Belated Happy Earth Day to Me!

It is probably quite remiss of me to not even know that Earth Day has been around for 40 years.  How did I manage to miss that?

Repurposing, re-using, thrift-shopping, up-cycling: they have all been a major part of my existence since I was a baby.  New clothes were not just a treat, they were a miracle.  We didnt have a colour tv in our house until 1983, hence I had to watch The Royal Wedding in black and white and have never quite recovered.  Every tv set we had until then was an ancient b&w number that came from the local rubbish dump in various states of disrepair.

It is not really any surprise then that now I have returned to my dressmaking roots, those roots are well and truly grounded in the thrifting ethos of my childhood.  What IS a surprise, an enormous, huge, OMG I AM DOING A LITTLE DANCE kind of surprise, is that Etsy includes me -ME! - in their Etsy Daily Finds email celebrating Earth Day and the crafters that practice repurposing in their work.

I would like to thank the Academy,  the OpShop around the corner from my house and my sewing teacher in Year 8 who showed me how to sew on ruffles.


Baby Ruffle Pants /Diaper Covers in repurposed fabric

Get This Blog Gadget

0 offerings of bamboo:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails